POWER-PACKED, CALIFORNIA APRICOTS
California apricots are an excellent source of beta-carotene (Vitamin A) and also provide Vitamin C, fiber, iron, and potassium. Sweetly tart in flavor and versatile in cooking, California apricots are a smart choice for adding important vitamins and extra flavor to a healthy diet.
High in Beta-Carotene (Vitamin A)
Just three fresh apricots or a 1/2 cup serving of canned apricots contain about 30% to 45% of the recommended daily amount.
- Is converted to Vitamin A in the body
- Plays a critical role in fighting disease
- Helps fight infection by maintaining strong immunity; protects the eyes
- Helps keep skin, hair, gums, and various glands healthy
- Helps build bones and teeth
- Apricots are hands down the most nutritious stone fruit
Kids Like Tangy/Tart Flavors
- Apricots have the flavor profile that kids like and a bright orange color that is appealing.
School Foodservice Directors Tell Us
- Carrot sticks alone are not cutting it—they need a greater variety of products that are high in Vitamin A on their menus
- They want to serve Vitamin A products that kids will actually eat!
- Smoothies are gaining popularity on campus
- They LOVE apricots—directors and RDs know the power of this fruit and want creative ways to serve apricots to kids!
Oregon State University
- A recent OSU study conducted on canned and frozen peaches found that the carotene and lycopene levels of frozen peaches are 10X higher than that of fresh
- The OSU researcher noted that this is due to the freezing process and has said that due to their nutrients, frozen apricots should be at a similar level or higher.