BRATWURST BURGERS WITH APRICOT-KRAUT RELISH
- APRICOT-KRAUT RELISH
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can sauerkraut with caraway seeds, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup Smucker’s® Orchard’s Finest® Coastal Valley Peach Apricot Preserves
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 medium red pepper
- 8 bratwurst patties (2 lbs.)
- Seasoning Salt
- 8 onion sandwich buns
- FOR APRICOT-KRAUT RELISH: HEAT oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add sauerkraut stirring occasionally until sauerkraut begins to turn golden, about 12 minutes. Blend in brown sugar, mustard and preserves. Remove from heat.
- THREAD thin wooden skewer through onion slices to keep them intact. Coat onions with no-sitck cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides of bratwurst patties with seasoning salt.
- COAT unheated grill grate with no-stick cooking spray. Heat grill to high (400° to 425°F). Place whole red pepper on grill. Roast for 12 minutes, turning frequently, until dark and blistered. Immediately place in bowl with tight fitting lid to steam for 5 minutes. Rinse under cool water to remove core, seeds and peel.
- REDUCE grill to medium-high (350° to 400°F). Grill patties 4 to 6 minutes per side or until pork reaches 145°F. Grill skewered onions 3 minutes, turn. Grill another 4 to 6 minutes. Toast the buns, if desired.*
- Slice pepper and remove onions from skewers. Add to sauerkraut mixture. Heat relish until warmed through. Place a bratwurst patty on each roll bottom, top with 1/3 cup apricot-sauerkraut relish and roll top.